Parents can play a very important role in facilitating a school's OneWorld Classrooms participation!
Many teachers recognize the educational value of interacting with overseas partners, but feel they do not have time to coordinate interaction. Parents can make the difference by playing a facilitating role in a class or school that is completing a OneWorld Classrooms program. Parents can assist teachers by:
- Aiding in the classroom to complete exchange-related art projects.
- Holding after-school meetings with students to complete exchange materials.
- Communicating via E-mail with a coordinator at your school's overseas partner school.
- Compiling and packaging exchange content.
- Helping to put together PowerPoint or Photostory presentations.
- Videotaping for a video exchange.
- Purchasing and distributing art materials.
- Mailing exchange materials.
Please coordinate with teachers before registering.
Here are a few tips for parents who would like to facilitate a OneWorld Classrooms exchange in conjunction with teachers:
- Meet with teachers in advance to discuss how participation will enhance their curriculum and how parents might best facilitate an exchange.
- Determine clearly in advance exactly which tasks teachers will need assistance with. Decide which tasks teachers will complete and which tasks parents will complete.
- Involve other parents! Assign a coordinator and distribute tasks.
- Start small. Try one exchange; learn what works best; and then try more exchanges.
- Follow OneWorld Classrooms' participation guidelines to ensure success.
Parents can also contribute or organize a fundraiser to benefit our overseas partner schools. For more information, see Make a Difference!
If you are helping to coordinate a OneWorld Classrooms exchange, see additional links under For Participants in the top navigation bar.